About this course
R is quickly gaining popularity as a programming language of choice for statisticians, data scientists and researchers. It has an excellent ecosystem including the powerful RStudio development environment and the Shiny web application framework.
But getting started with R can be challenging, particularly if you’ve never programmed before. That’s where this introductory course comes in.
We teach using RStudio, which allows program code, results, visualisations and documentation to be blended seamlessly.
Join us for a live coding workshop where we write programs that produce results, using the researcher-focused training modules from the highly regarded Software Carpentry Foundation.
- Introduction to the RStudio interface for programming
- Basic syntax and data types in R
- How to load external data into R
- Creating functions (FUNCTIONS)
- Repeating actions and analysing multiple data sets (LOOPS)
- Making choices (IF STATEMENTS – CONDITIONALS)
- Ways to visualise data in R
No prior experience with programming needed to attend this course.
We strongly recommend attending the Start Coding without Hesitation: Programming Languages Showdown and Thinking like a computer: The Fundamentals of Programming webinars. Recordings of previously delivered webinars can be found here.