What is DeepSpace?
DeepSpace is a low cost storage solution for researchers requiring long-term networked data storage. It is ideally suited for large amounts of data and complete collections or published datasets that are accessed infrequently. DeepSpace optimises for maximum retention integrity by trading off retrieval performance to keep costs lower than Intersect SpaceShuttle and SpaceLab active storage. Three synced copies of your data are stored on tape and disk at two different locations, so you can be confident of integrity and security.
Who is it for?
Individual researchers or groups (for example, faculties, facilities or institutions) with datasets requiring highest fidelity retention, publication citation, digital object referenceability, or massive scale for infrequent access/download. DeepSpace forms a crucial part of responsible data management planning, particularly to archive published datasets at the end of their research cycle, and can be relied on to outlast consumer grade products or in-house file servers.
Why use DeepSpace?
With DeepSpace, you can:
- Transfer data via the dedicated high-speed AARNet.edu.au optical fibre network with no ingress or egress charges between AARNet destinations.
- Effortlessly scale to petabytes of storage.
- Manage access to your data safely and securely, typically using your own organisation’s credentials.
- Share simply and seamlessly with people across organisational boundaries.
- Optionally arrange and purchase offline tape archive copies of your data.
How does it work?
DeepSpace provides a suite of tools to help relocate your data with integrity. Move your data – confidently – to and from active storage by leveraging AsperaSoft FASPTM transfer technology with built-in payload checksumming for reliability (learn more at asperasoft.com).
- Transfer information at maximum speed using state-of-the-art network protocols for high volume data.
- Transmit securely using AES-128 data encryption, with the confidence that your data remains private over the wire.
- Automate workflows using scriptable command line tools (optional).
- Automate integrity checking to be sure that what you wrote is what is stored.
- Your data is securely held in Tier 3 data locations in Sydney, with the highest levels of accredited security, availability and reliability.
- It is kept safe by industrial-grade storage with three synchronised copies of your data written to tape at two locations.
- Intersect is a Not-For-Profit organisation operated by NSW and ACT Universities with all data stored on Australian soil under NSW jurisdiction to preserve data sovereignty.
- Manage your own data using a convenient self-serve web browser interface.
- Control who has access to your data autonomously.
- Sync data regularly using delta-only transmission technology to save time and bandwidth.
- Integrate your applications using Aspera SDK web service APIs (REST and SOAP) and native libraries for Java, .NET, and C++.
- Windows: 7+; Mac OS X 10.7+; Linux 64-bit
- Firefox 27+, Google Chrome 32+, Internet Explorer 8+, Safari 7+
- Optional Linux ssh command line implementation
- AAF account for authentication. Access for non-AAF members available through your affiliated university/institution via the AAF Virtual Home, aaf.edu.au/technical/vho
- Network ports: tcp/33001 (FASP), udp/33001 (FASP).
- Interconnect speeds: AARNet: 10 Gigabits per second (Gb/s), Orange.intersect.org.au: 10 Gb/s, Institution: 1 Gb/s, 10 Gb/s and 40 Gb/s, Amazon Web Services: 10 Gb/s
- Intersect uses the Science DMZ network model, a high performance, high bandwidth architecture optimising data transfers (10 Gb/s and up)
- Storage capacity: up to 50 Petabytes
- Active tape data rate: up to 1.28 Gigabits/s throughput Note: All figures are rated maximums.
Note: All figures are rated maximums. Actual performance will vary depending on local technical constraints.
How do I get started with DeepSpace?
- Contact your friendly local Intersect eResearch Analyst or email us at Space@intersect.org.au
- Pricing and subsidy information available at Space.intersect.org.au/rates
- Learn from the user guide and use cases at Space.intersect.org.au/deepspace
- Information about our other Space products is available at Space.intersect.org.au