Intersect develops cost-effective, research-focused software applications. We have a track record of over 100 software engineering projects delivered across all research disciplines. Our team has proven technical capabilities in web and mobile applications.
We build new research software applications with innovative technologies and also reuse existing applications wherever possible. We offer researchers software platforms, tools and applications to meet research needs, ranging from custom to off-the-shelf.
Intersect has engineered platforms as diverse as HIEv for generic research data management, SHAZAM! for automated data capture, CloudStor Collections for collating, annotating, packaging and sharing groups of files and metadata and customised MediaFlux for use across all RDS nodes allowing for a consistent experience in moving, managing and sharing research data across RDS.
Intersect has also worked with organisations such as the NSW Department of Primary Industries on their Enhanced Drought Information System (EDIS) to provide daily mapping of drought conditions in NSW and CSIRO to create TAPPAS, a tool providing access to powerful wind dispersion and weather prediction models for particle pests.
Deployment typically leverages Intersect Space and Time products, and some tools can be deployed into other eResearch contexts. We can also work with you to create a solution tailored to your specific requirements or recommend suitable commercial and open source tools.
What service is available?
Our team of project managers, business analysts, software engineers, and testers work with clients to deliver research-focused software projects, with over 100 of software engineering projects successfully delivered since 2008. Our capability is built on a company culture that fosters a focus on the client while pursuing engineering excellence. We specialise in building research applications across a range of disciplines using Agile project management methods and cater for both large and small projects.
Domain areas include:
- Data capture and management
- Analytical software
- Data visualisation
- Workflow management.
The following capabilities are available:
- Business Analysis: Our business analysts work with research institutes, research groups, service centres, and government departments or agencies to assess their current circumstances and plot the course for the future. Analysts are experienced in the research environment and are well acquainted with the major eResearch programs, tools and services. Analysis activities always focus on the most valuable areas to the client and might include: gap analysis, requirements specification, workflow assessment, problem identification and resolution, assessment of technology stacks, process analysis and design, architectural design, systems analysis, data migration planning, and systems audit. Analysts have varied backgrounds and possess a broad range of skills, including in Agile project management methods, enterprise architecture, data management, data repositories, simulation modelling, programming and software design. They work closely with our software developers and testers to ensure a smooth handover from analysis activities to solutions development.
- Software Development: Our software engineers work with clients to deliver the specified software.
- Core team processes: Agile project management, continuous integration, and test-driven design.
- Key frameworks and languages: Rails, Django, Flask, Java, Python and Php, Ruby.
- Software Testing: Our software testing experts work with project teams to design and implement a testing regime that will deliver appropriate quality assurance. This is achieved by devising and executing testing strategies, test plans and defect identification procedures. Our developers are also adept at configuring functional testing tools for optimal automated functional tests & quality assurance. We use a range of industry-accepted tools and techniques. Close collaboration between product owners, business analysts, developers and testers ensures that frequent validation of features and requirements.
- Project Management: Our project managers plan, coordinate and report on software engineering projects in conjunction with all stakeholders. Project managers are skilled at managing agile software projects, using industry standard methodologies with a high level of client involvement.
- Software Maintenance is an optional service available for software built or implemented by Intersect Australia (and other software by special agreement). It enables you to be confident of proactively maintaining a secure and supported level of underlying technology, as well as be assured of software fixes as they are needed. More information on Software Maintenance is available here.
Who can access the service?
- Researchers and research groups from any Intersect member organisation.
- Non-member organisations may also access the services.
How do I access the service?
To contact Intersect:
Talk to one of our research analysts. Especially of you are a researcher within one of our member organisations, contact the eResearch Analyst at your institution. Details are available here.
Online at help.intersect.org.au – Simply add your university or organisational credentials, then click “Help” and add details.
Send us an email at email@example.com
What costs are involved?
Costs are commensurate with the effort undertaken on the project. Members are offered a rebate on Engineering services.
Terms and Conditions for Engineering Services are available here.