SpaceLab puts your research software right next to your data in a secure hosted cloud without any hardware, upfront cost or lenghty delays. SpaceLab links Intersect Space storage and Time compute to provide a powerful and stable platform to run tailored applications in an environment that is just right for your unique research.
Who is it for?
Individual researchers or groups (for example faculties, facilities or institutions) needing to build and manage their own hosted virtual laboratory, using their own research software without the complexities of buying, operating and maintaining hardware and operating systems.
Why use SpaceLab?
With SpaceLab, you can:
- Confidently establish an Internet home for your own hosted virtual laboratory running customer software applications that you manage.
- Get a massive head start by creating a virtual lab by reusing one of our ready-made and optimised eResearch platforms time.intersect.org.au/research-tools
- Scale computing capacity up or down without hardware changes or capital expenditure.
- Transfer data via the dedicated high-speed Australian Academic and Research Network optical fibre network with no ingress or egress charges between AARNet destinations.
- Easily scale to petabytes of storage, with optional direct fibre-connected Space storage for maximum performance.
Maintain control and access to your data using your own research software applications according to your own decisions and policies.
How does it work?
SpaceLab combines compute and storage infrastructure to provide a ready-made, pre-configured computing environment where you can install your own research software.
- Build on our platform, manage your system with your choice of research software.
- Optionally, add one of Intersect’s hosting packages.
- Choose your own encryption model as desired.
- Your data is securely held in a Tier 3 data centre located in Sydney.
- It is kept safe in entreprise-grade storage with multiple redundancies.
- Manage your own data using a convenient web browser interface.
Control who has access to your data.
- Share files or folders of any size using a URL.
- Use your software to build the collaboration capabilities to meet the needs of your research group.
To create and manage your SpaceLab you’ll need:
- Mac OS X 10.7+, Windows 7+, Linux 64-bit
- Optional ssh command line implementation
- AAF account for sysadmin authentication. For non-AAF members, sysadmin access available through your affiliated university/institution via the AAF Virtual Home.
- Network ports: tcp/22 (ssh/sFTP)
- Authentication: X.509 certificate, VPN tunnel: IPsec
- Storage Interconnect: NFS, WebDAVs
- Interconnect speeds: AARNet: 10 Gigabits per second (Gb/s), Science DMZ: 10 Gb/s, Orange.intersect.org.au: 10 Gb/s, institution: 1 Gb/s, 10 Gb/s and 40 Gb/s
- Storage capacity: up to 50 Petabytes
- Active disk data rate: up to 8 Gigabits/s throughput
- Intersect uses the AARNet Science DMZ interconnect model, a high performance, high bandwidth architecture optimising data transfers (10 Gb/s and up)
- Deploy from OwnTime.intersect.org.au, rc.NeCTAR.org.au or ec2.amazon.com
- Flavours from 1 CPU 2 GB RAM to 64 CPU 1 TB RAM
Compatible with Time.intersect.org.au and Amazon Web Services DirectConnect. VM - Space interconnect: 10 Gb/s
* All figures are rated maximums. Actual performance will vary depending on local technical constraints.
How do I get started with SpaceLab?
Read our Space use cases:
- Mac OS X 10.7+, Windows 2008r2, 2012, Linux 64-bit and later
- Internet Explorer 8+, Firefox 27+, Google Chrome 32+, Safari 6+ and later
- AAF account for authentication
- Access for non-AAF members available through your affiliated University / institution via the AAF Virtual Home.
- Interconnect speeds AARNet: 10 Gigabits per second (Gb/s), Science DMZ: 10 Gb/s, Orange.intersect.org.au: 10 Gb/s, institutions: 1 Gb/s, 10 Gb/s, 40 Gb/s
- Storage capacity up to 50 Petabytes.
- Information about Space is available at Space.intersect.org.au
- Learn about pricing and subsidies at space.intersect.org.au/rates
- Scheduled training run on university campuses. Check the training schedule.
- To order a Space plan, contact the Intersect eResearch Analyst at your institution or fill in an enquiry form at: help.intersect.org.au