You are here
Congratulations Mike Briers, 2016 Officer in the Order of Australia
Intersect congratulates Founding CEO Professor Mike Briers on his appointment as Officer in the General Division of the Order of Australia in the 2016 Queens Birthday Honours for distinguished service to the finance and digital technology sectors, particularly in the area of data intensive research and analysis, to higher education, and to Judo.
The Queens Birthday 2016 Honours Lists - details on page 9 of the Officer (AO) in the General Division of the Order of Australia PDF.
Back in 2008 the DVCs Research from our founding members turned to Mike Briers to conceive and create the organisation that we know today as Intersect Australia. Mike worked to create our constitution, establish and incorporate our company, and was instrumental in recruiting its first operational CEO, Professor Ian Gibson. As one of Australia’s most respected thought leaders and public-private sector entrepreneurs Mike was named in the Prime Minister's 2015 Knowledge Nation 100 as Australia’s chief evangelist for big data and IoT.
Intersect CEO Marc Bailey commented "To this day, the Sirca (Securities Industry Research Centre of Asia-Pacific) relationship Mike created with us as CEO of both organisations remains strong and active. We've watched him spin off RoZetta Technology, applauded as he created the Knowledge Economy Institute for the Internet of Things and were delighted to see him take up the role of Industry Professor at Intersect member the University of Technology Sydney most recently. These are just some of the ways he's directly touched and influenced Intersect since inception; Mike's record of eminent service to science and research speaks for itself. I'm personally delighted that his leadership and contribution has been appropriately recognised in prestigious company. Intersect will forever be grateful to Mike".
Professor Brier's service to the Finance and Digital Technology sectors:
- Chief Executive Officer, Securities Industry Research Centre of Asia-Pacific, 2001-2015.
- Director, RoZetta Technology, 2012-2015.
- Co-founder and Chief Executive Officer, Knowledge Economy Institute, since 2015.
- Director, The Yield, since 2015. Acting Director, Sense-T, 2014.
- Advisory Council Member, Centre for International Finance and Regulation, 2012-2015.
- Founding Member, Conscious Capitalism Australia, since 2012.
- Founding Chief Executive Officer, Intersect Australia, 2008-2009.
- Founding Member, Capital Markets Co-operative Research Centre, 2001.
- Member, Prime Minister's Knowledge Nation IOC, 2015.
- Industry Professor, University of Technology Sydney, since 2015 and Adjunct Professor, 2008-2012.
- Associate Professor of Business, University of New South Wales, 1998-2003.
- Recipient, Prime Minister's Award for University Teaching (Business and Economics), 1998.
President, Judo Federation of Australia, 2012-2014. President, Judo New South Wales, 2011-2012
Intersect is a pivotal part of Australian research infrastructure, providing robust, innovative and collaborative technology to support the world-class research at members institutions and research organisations. Intersect delivers storage and analysis platforms, software engineering, expert consultation and training programs to thousands of researchers each year.