You are here
What is Application Hosting?
Intersect offers various application hosting services:
- For software solutions developed by Intersect for member universities and other organisations, we can provide full ongoing hosting on behalf of those organisations where required.
- For research software not developed by Intersect, we can provide an application hosting service involving multi-layered monitoring and management across the virtual machine infrastructure, operating system, system software and application layers.
Examples of activities performed within the Intersect Application Hosting Service include:
- Monitoring and resolution of system resources like memory, disk and CPU
- Security patching of the operating system
- Maintenance of the software stack operating system upgrade compatibility.
Who can access the service?
Intersect members and other organisations can access the Application Hosting Service.
How do I access the service?
Talk to one of Intersect’s eResearch Analysts. If you are a researcher within one of our member organisations, contact the eResearch Analyst at your institution: http://www.intersect.org.au/content/key-contacts.
Online at help.intersect.org.au – Simply add your university or organisational credentials (user name and password), then click “Help” and add details.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
What else do I need to know?
There are various issues to be considered in any hosting solution including initial set-up, ongoing support requirements, issue management, service levels and security requirements. These will be discussed on a case-by-case basis.
What charges are involved?
Pricing varies according to the underlying software solution and is commensurate with the level of effort required to provide the service. Factors that influence the level of service, and therefore the cost, include the nature of the underlying software stack and the total number of instances of the software deployed.
The service is charged with an initial “Setup” charge and then monthly charges.